Monday, June 29, 2015

TBB: Praline Pecan Meringue Ice-Cream Sandwiches



I made half recipe as I wasn't sure if meringue will last in this climate here..  In fact, I was half hearted about making this recipe..seeing it requires 300g of pecan nuts..that's a lot of pecan nuts and it's expensive here. What if I don't like them and it will mean $22 down the drain..! 

Fate had it that I developed sore throat, along with headache, slight fever yesterday. I could only think of things like ice-pops, ice-cream, ice-kachang..  you get the idea.  And since my husband complained the other day that my ice-cream maker has been in cold-storage for a long time, I decided to make rum & raisin ice-cream because it is my daughter's favorite flavor, and I can't make chocolate anything because chocolate is 'heaty' and at times like this, is one of the food I have to avoid eating.  

After making the custard base for ice-cream, I realised I have leftover white and I might as well make the meringue.. half recipe would be enough for a test batch.. 

So I began toasting the pecan nuts..


And whisk the egg whites & brown sugar. I heated it up a bit hoping to get rid of the moisture so it will be not be soft later on... so I think.. 


chopped all pecans.. no need to leave 1/2 batch of whole pecans..since only half recipe. 


Whipped for 5 mins until it turn pale white.. 


At this point..very sticky meringue.. maybe I over-beat..


Scoop and drop and flatten with spatula.. but I think I didn't flatten enough...cos you can see why later..


Tada! Meringue cookies all baked ..
I baked at low temp 130c for 30mins.  
Very dry and crispy now.  Happiness..that they didn't collapse and I was so tempted to eat one but my helper reminded me not to as they are even numbers now... *dang*..lol!


Next churn the custard into ice-cream


After 30mins later... ice-cream! Still need to rest in freezer first.. 


Now..top with meringue cookie on top and enjoy! 
No bottom cookie cos too fluffy already..LOL! 




Even though I messed up the meringue and made them into some mini pavlova looked-alike.. but they taste amazing with ice-cream. The crisp, light and airy texture - pairs so well with ice-cream. Loving it. Next time I have to remember to really make flatten them down. 

Thumbs Up!  Everyone loved it. My husband said this is such a good idea... ya.. I told him this is not my idea but Rose's idea. LOL! And even though I messed up her original idea, they are still delicious. 

PS: I'm glad I made half portion because right after making these I was sick for 2 weeks and they are still in containers - nobody ate them...(because I was out of action and didn't 'prepare/assemble' it for them..seems like they cannot do it themselves..)! I tried to eat one last night on it's own but it's very sweet without ice-cream. So still better with ice-cream.  No longer as chewy in centre as before but still good. :)  







11 comments:

Rose Levy Beranbaum on June 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM said...

Great meringues and you are adorable!

Unknown on June 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM said...

Hope you are all better now, I felt bad when I said "eat more ice-cream" and you were choking! Meringues sound so good like mini pavlovas… and you made your ice-cream too!! ---- Jeniffer

Vicki on June 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM said...

I like the mini Pavlovas! Nigella makes Pavlovas all the time and I never have had one so couldn't really imagine what it's like. Your rum raisin ice cream looks delicious. Never had rum raisin ice cream either! You must have had a really bad case of something to be sick for two weeks. Glad you are better.

Angie's Recipes on June 30, 2015 at 1:06 AM said...

Meringue and ice cream..I love the pairing and it surely looks very delicious!

orins goodies on June 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM said...

I hope you'll get better soon. your meringues came very cute and i am impressed with your ice cream, looks very good.

Mendy on June 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM said...

Wow. Looks great. What recipe did use for the ice cream? Next time, simply eat two😜

Milagritos on July 1, 2015 at 5:15 PM said...

Hope you are feeling much better! I love the shape of your meringues, less like a sandwich and more like a fancy dessert! I totally get you not wanting to eat heat foods during a cold. My mum used talk like that too! :-)

Patricia @ ButterYum on July 2, 2015 at 1:56 AM said...

I know how you feel - everyone here waits for me to assemble things too. It's kind of pathetic ;). Good thing I love them.

Michele at The Artful Oven on July 2, 2015 at 3:56 AM said...

Hi Faithy: It's a very humid summer here, and mine didn't get very crisp. I don't know if that's a factor or not. But they are so delicious and we loved the recipe!! My cookies aren't very pretty but the ice cream sandwiches are so, so good!! You did a great job, and anything that results in a Pavolova can't be much of a mistake!!

Unknown on July 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM said...

Hi Faithy! Your cookies were dry and crispy and mine were very chewy. I think I under baked mine a little, but I let it pass because they would go in the freezer and it wouldn't matter much anyway. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Unknown on July 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM said...

You're such a trooper Peggy! Making ice cream when you feel ill, not to mention meringues. How funny that your family rely on you to bring out the dessert. I wish I'd baked my meringues longer at a lower heat - next time. They were delicious any way they were cooked I think.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template