Monday, January 19, 2015

TBB: Golden Orange Panettone

I'm not very familiar with Panettone. I have seen them during Christmas at the stores, but I have not bought even once since they are usually expensive.  The only time I ate it was when someone gave it to me and the other time when I went Italy many years back but that was before I bake, so I didn't take note of what Panettone was supposed to be like and I have since forgotten exactly how it was.  

Since this recipe has so many steps, I decided to double up my recipe so that in case I fail one dough, I'll still have the next dough as a backup. 

On Friday night, I made the Biga (somehow I lost the photos of my Biga)..that was the easiest part..LOL!  And I left in it my fridge to rest for 3 days.  I used a mixture of King Arthur's BF & Pillsbury APF.  

On Monday I mixed the with rest of the ingredients and whisked it into liquid to make the Starter.


Then I sprinkled the rest of the dry ingredient on top of the starter and left in the fridge till next day.



I came home and placed the rest of the liquid ingredients and knead with mixer. 


Until it turned like this..shiny and glossy..and when you pull it..it forms a really thin membrane...so that's when I think it is ready to rest..


Then I added the raisins & citrus peel....I couldn't find any orange oil and was too late for me to order from Amazon, so I used orange zest instead and soaked it with Triple Sec/Raisins as instructed in the recipe.  




My mixer bowl was too big for the fridge. So I  had to split the dough into 2 batches at this point. 
I made markings..


After 1 hour, the dough expanded really quickly..and I left in fridge for 30 mins and then another 30mins to harden...I had to shorten the time because it was passed my bedtime...


So after I brought out the dough and turned it 2 more times and then put them into ziplock bags. 


Into ziplock bags to rest for 2 days.  I don't quite understand why I had to press the dough 1hr and the next 2hrs later. I did it anyway..but  I  might have pressed too hard cos my dough flatted into a disc instead of a round. LOL!


On Thursday night after work, I took out the dough from the fridge. It came off quite easily, I didn't have to cut open my ziplock bag. 
I split each dough into 4 even pieces and shaped into 3.5"x4" paper cups.



After my panettone baked.  The first 4 on the left I tend with foil after 20mins and they looked 'fairer'. Also it didn't raised up much because I placed them on baking sheet  on top of baking stone. 

I tried to sprinkle some pearl sugar on one just to test out. I regretted not doing it to the rest, should have sprinkled all of them with pearl sugar! 

The next 4 on the right I tend with foil after 30mins and thus they looked darker..almost burnt.  But they raised up more because I placed them directly on baking stone.  Also this time I used boiling water instead of ice..boiling water seems faster to create steam.



I was a bit disappointed because I felt that these panettone didn't look like the commercial ones I often see on photos or pictures. They looked weird to me.  I was too tired to wait for the mini Panettone-s to cool down as it was almost 2am. I took them to my bedroom with me..hahaha.. yes..literally..because if I leave them out in open in non-aircon room, esp. at night, the stupid house lizard will eat the bread!  (ya..ask me how I know!..lizards now eat bread and other food that has sugar.. and not insects or mosquitoes anymore!). I told myself I would just lie down for a short while on my bed and wait for them to cool and put close the lid of the container I placed them in.  But somehow the next moment when I woke up it was already morning..time to go to work. LOL!  


I got ready for work, quickly checked on the Panettones.. and I took photos too..with the morning sun..:)  And cut them into half. One from each batch.  


Inside of the bread.. to see the texture.


I was quite disappointed, thinking to myself why they look like bread.  I was expecting them to be fluffier and with more holes like Chiffon textured bread...

I kept thinking about what I might have done wrong on my way to work. Nearing office, I realised I forgot to put on makeup. I never have the habit of carrying any makeup with me except for lipgloss. So no choice, naked face for the whole day..well, at least I had my sunblock on.  As long as I don't scare people with my pale white face...should be ok.. LOL!

I voiced my disappointment on our FB group...and fellow alpha bakers Pat, Monica, KristinaNicola & Vicki re-assured me that I got my Panettone right and it is bread and not whatever I was imagining it to be. LOL!  That made me so happy. Kristina posted photo of her Panettone, so I was reassured. And after it didn't really mattered if I had makeup on or not that whole day...Oo 

I brought 1/4 slice each to work to taste test because I can't eat anything in the morning. 

No chocolate to drizzle on.  (sorry, I couldn't wait and took a bite..so please ignore the smaller slice. LOL!




I like how it tasted. It taste like sweet bread with delicate crumb. But I would have preferred more raisins though. I like the presence of citrus peel (I like them in fruitcakes too).   My daughter loves it, she is able to eat one mini loaf all by herself.  She said the flavor tasted just like the ones we had in Italy but probably not as soft. She added that if she remembered correctly, we were able to pull the bread out and it would tear like cotton-candy soft like texture...

Honestly, I cannot remember.  

This to me tasted like normal sweet bread (brioche-like)...of course with more flavor, richer and nice yellow color.  So I'm not sure if I will make it again though - all the hard work, and stress and not enough sleep..lol! Probably easier to just buy off the shelves. 

However, if there is any short cut to making them??  I wouldn't mind making it again... as long as the process is faster....:)

More photos.. after working on the dough for a week, I had to take more photos and post them!! lol..

















16 comments:

anitsirK on January 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM said...

I'm glad we were able to reassure you about the texture. :) Your mini-panettones are really cute!

Unknown on January 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM said...

Faithy.. they look awesome.. just perfect.. look at your top! Excellent! Glad you like them. I feel like you the process just was too long... by the time they went into the oven I was just so over it.

Mendy on January 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM said...

ב''ה

I suspect this recipe's time can be cut down considerably. I also would have enjoyed them with more raisins.

Yours look great in those mini molds.

Excuse, I need to go buy some pearl sugar now…

:)

Vicki on January 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM said...

The mini ones are so adorable! Did you make one doubled batch of dough or two separate batches? With all the work, I would have loved to have had a second loaf, plus all these left over paper molds! I want to try it again with more golden syrup and fruit. Please explain "house lizard". A real live pet lizard?

Jenn on January 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM said...

Fairy, your post is so funny. I like the part about make up. Your panettone looks so cute in the paper cups. I hope you have caught up on sleep now.

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 19, 2015 at 1:49 PM said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect. I Love your panettone!! So funny that you had to hide your breads to keep the house lizard from eating them. I'm going to take your advice and use more fruit when I bake mine. And I love the idea of adding pearl sugar. You're so inventive. Great post.

Patricia @ ButterYum

Unknown on January 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM said...

I can't believe you thought they were a failure. They look absolutely perfect! I wish I'd made more now, given the effort.

So funny about the makeup.

Unknown on January 19, 2015 at 9:16 PM said...

Hi Faithy (or Peggy), I should have made two too. All that work and gone in a day. Your idea to make mini panettone, without ever having made them before, was very brave. They are gorgeous. You have nothing to be disappointed about. They look perfect.

Unknown on January 19, 2015 at 11:56 PM said...

I think they came out just great. Mini Panettone's was a great idea - more like a snack.

Michele at The Artful Oven on January 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM said...

Hello, Faithy--they look lovely!! Such a good idea to make them tiny! I grew up in south Florida--we had tiny lizards everywhere! This recipe was delicious, but a very long process. I won't make it often, but will do it again...sometime!

Hanaâ on January 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM said...

The texture is perfect, Peggy! Just how it's supposed to be. Now tell me about the lizard. Is that a pet? :o)

evil cake lady on January 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM said...

great idea to make mini panettone! they look perfect, too.

Rosa V. on January 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katya on January 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM said...

Yes, back to the lizard, please.
That lizard has such good taste!

Rosa V. on January 22, 2015 at 1:05 AM said...

Faithy, they're so cute, I love those little Panettones and that they are amazing and also delicious don't you agree, your write up is lovely and saw your pictures.

Angie's Recipes on January 26, 2015 at 4:47 PM said...

I love the mini version of panettone and these look great!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template