Monday, January 26, 2015

TBB: Gingersnaps




This is a very easy recipe.  Quick & Easy!!  Took me long time to figure out what Q&E was!  When I first saw it on Marie's blog, I kept thinking what is Q&E?  I know what Q&A stands for, but just not Q&E.  Later Marie explained what Q&E was and I was like "Hai, That's it!? Why didn't i think of it?"  Also I finally remembered to put the nice picture right on top so that when I post my link, people don't see my mixer or mixing bowl as the first picture. :)  (Catherine, I remembered, did you?)

Since this is a fairly easy recipe, not many steps and not many photos either.

First I melt the butter and syrup and let it cool.


Then add to the flour mixture and mix. 


After split the dough into 3 packs and put into the fridge to rest.


In the mean time while the dough is in the fridge, I stir fried vegetables (baby bak choy)...


And had my dinner - vegetables & herbal chicken soup.  


Herbal Chicken Soup



After dinner, the dough in the fridge is ready for baking. I rolled the dough 10g each.  I don't like big cookies. Big cookies scares me. Here, we like small cookies, bite size, so it is more Kawaii and also easier to eat.  When I first ordered cookie cutters from US, I was shocked to see the size of the 5" cookie cutters when they arrived...but now I'm getting used to it..but they still sit in my cupboard unused...

I baked as instructed. But after the cookies cooled down, I took a bite and tasted like raw dough inside. Maybe I'm not used to chewy cookies? Anyway..I gave my daughter a piece and she said the same thing too.  



So I put them back into the oven again for another 5 mins to crisp up entirely.  


Tasted very good on the day they were baked..the entire cookie so crisp and crunchy. These are now my husband's favourite and he is not a cookie person.  So that says a lot doesn't it?  



However, after 2 days later, the cookies turned quite hard on outside but still crisp on inside..LOL! But my husband still likes them....because he is still eating them while watching TV.  

But he said "Wow..your cookies so hard like rock now.. but it is ok still taste good...but those with dentures cannot eat these for sure".. 

My daughter took a bite and said "Hahaha.. ya Mom..cookies so hard now..hard to bite into it... but I still like it..".  

Makes me wonder though, do you think the both of them just saying it to curry favor and make me happy only?  Hmm....

Maybe I should drop the extra eggwhite and see what happens next time.  Actually, I quite like the cookies now the way it is, they are hard when I bite into it but they melt the moment they are in my mouth.  I only wish they had more spice - now seems to be no 'kick' as the ginger flavor is subtle. Perhaps I'm used to gingerbread cookies where there are more spices added. 

I think these hard cookies now will be great as a base for cheesecake too....


THE END





15 comments:

Jenn on January 26, 2015 at 10:06 AM said...

After I read your post, I went to eat another cookie. They do taste a bit like cookie dough. Your turned out so brown. Your husband is so funny with his dentures comment.

Vicki on January 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM said...

Faithy, You are so funny! So is your husband! I want to know if the house lizard liked them? Please explain, is house lizard in the house on purpose to catch things or are house lizards uninvited house guests?

Mendy on January 26, 2015 at 10:58 AM said...

ב''ה

Your cookies look great.

Hard cookies are good for dunking into tea. :)

Michele at The Artful Oven on January 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM said...

Hello again, Faithy! Your cookies look great. Mine are quite blonde. I checked the internal temperature per the recipe and they are still blonde. No cracks, but they taste delicious. I would like a stronger ginger flavor.
www.artfuloven.com

Angie's Recipes on January 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM said...

Gingersnaps are definitely one of my favourites. These look really nice, either with a pot of freshly brewed tea or a cup of hot chocolate!

Unknown on January 27, 2015 at 2:29 AM said...

Cheesecake crust sounds yummy. Actually your dinner looks really good too.

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 27, 2015 at 9:02 AM said...

I love your posts - they're so funny!

I think you're right, these would be great for the base of a cheesecake.

Did you have to hide these from your house lizard? If so, I think your husband and daughter really like them. :)

Great post - hope you'll stop by to see mine.

Patricia @ ButterYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/1/25/tbb-gingersnaps

Unknown on January 27, 2015 at 11:16 AM said...

Hi Faithy, You are hilarious. They baby bok choy segue was priceless. It looked like a delicious dinner. Your cookie look perfect too. Great post.

Michele at The Artful Oven on January 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM said...

Hi Faithy--thanks for your kind visit to my blog! What did you do to that lovely bok choy, it looks delicious, by the way?

evil cake lady on January 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM said...

i would have preferred my cookies to be a bit more crisp, but hard cookies are only good for dunking in hot chocolate! you are right, these would make a great cheesecake base. your dinner looks yummy, too!

Unknown on January 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM said...

I love how you sneaked in your dinner.. which I got to say after seeing so many cookie post was very appetizing... something very green! among all these very brown/blond pictures of cookies.

Jill on January 28, 2015 at 3:51 AM said...

Love your cookies and bok choy! Using the cookies in the base of a cheesecake is a great idea. Put them in the food processor with maybe a little bit of cinnamon to kick up the flavor a little and make a pumpkin cheesecake filling. Yum...I love making cheesecakes. :) Great blog!

inthekitchen on January 28, 2015 at 4:55 AM said...

I agree with Mendy - dunk 'em in a nice hot cuppa :)

Mine were not as puffed up as yours and stayed soft for as long as they lasted (a few days, I guess. I made them a couple of weeks ago). I wonder if yours got crunchy because you re-baked them for a few minutes?

Unknown on February 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM said...

Your cookies are a lovely dark colour. I wished mine were harder - I like the teeth testing ginger biscuits.

Your baby bok chop looks delicious. I haven't seen them here in that size. They must be very sweet.

Unknown on February 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM said...

Choy not chop - naughty autocorrect

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template