Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Baby and Laces Cookies

We had long weekend holiday and I thought I had ample time to bake the cakes for ABC, HCB and cookies for my friend.  However, my daughter had a minor 'accident'  - she cut her finger (quite badly!) while doing her project and i had to rush her to a 24-hr clinic at night.  The doctor attending said it was minor and didn't give us anything and told us just to monitor. He didn't even have bandages in his clinic to dress up the wound and told me to go to the nearest pharmacy to buy and dress it up on  my own.  The next day, the cut on my daughter's finger was still red and bleeding, so i rushed her down to A&E and the doctor opened up the wound, examined it and said cut was quite deep and needed stitches!!  I can't believe that the earlier doctor just brushed it off so lightly.  

After all the worrying and rushing to the doctors, my baking plan went awry.  I didn't have time to bake anything.  However, i need to ice the cookies i've baked on Thursday...as I know i will be occupied the week later.

Hence decorated these baby shower cookies & lace cookies from Sunday night & over the next 2 nights till very late (or shall i say early morning..lol!). As usual, my husband nagged at me constantly (every 30mins interval after 10pm) if i'm done as it's getting late, that i needed to get to work the next day...otherwise, i will not have enough sleep and can't concentrate at work..and bad for my health..blah..blah..blah...

Baby Shower Cookies

Made these baby shower cookies for a friend. Her sister will be having a baby soon and because of some very Chinese tradition, she can't see her sister or baby till a month later after baby is born . I thought if my friend could give her sister some pretty cookies, that would be nice.  


Heart-Shape Lace Cookies

Round-Shape Lace Cookies

These heart & round lace cookies are just my "practice-to-pipe" cookies.  Saw some lovely lace cookies by my 2 flickr pals (Rosey Sugar & Jill Sugar) and thought i'll give it a go. Of course mine is no where near their standard..theirs are perfect and their piping always so delicate and pretty - I adore their work! I needed to practice piping round, so i made lots of round cookies.  However, i didn't really do a very good job..my round outline turned out quite terrible..some jagged edges, some diamond shape, some oval..some just out of shape round.. These above that you see are the 6 best rounds that i've done! LOL!  Gotta practice more! 




19 comments:

Lois B on November 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM said...

Faithy - I'm glad you found a doctor who knew what they were seeing. Hope your daughter is on the mend.

Your lace piping is beautiful. I was admiring these on facebook.

Anonymous said...

omg, the designs on these cookies are so beautiful and intricate. u are very talented!

Andrea on November 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM said...

Those are so adorable! Your piping detail is so intricate!

Barbara Bakes on November 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM said...

Your lace cookies look amazing. You are so talented. So kind of you to make these cookies for your friend to give her sister. What kind of 24 hr clinic doesn't have anything to dress a wound. So frustrating!

Monica on November 10, 2010 at 11:13 PM said...

From someone that is totally piping impair I admire the "giving it a go" attitude, because the piping in your lace cookies kick some serious butt! How can you even think they were not good???

I'm in love with them....

And I'm glad your daughter was taken care of the second time around!

ann low on November 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM said...

Faithy, Hope your daughter is better now.
Your lace cookies are so perfect, always admired your skills.

Alpha Baker Joan on November 11, 2010 at 4:14 AM said...

Faithy,
I am so glad you found a competent doctor finally. I can't imagine how stressful that was for you.

The cookies with lace and piping are awesome. As most of us have expressed, you are so talented. Everything you do is creative and wonderful -- and so much of it. I don't know how you do it!

Vicki on November 11, 2010 at 7:51 AM said...

Faithy, that is simply awful about that first doctor. So glad you found a competent one and your daughter is okay. These cookies are wonderful. So adorable!

faithy on November 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM said...

Thank you my blogger friends! You are all so sweet and so generous with your comments! Motivates me to improve and work on my piping more..lol!..only i need to find time to do that too.

Thanks everyone..my daughter's thumb is healing well now. I too can't believe how the first doctor just didn't really seem to care either.

cocoa and coconut on November 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM said...

Sounds pretty chaotic at your end! Hope your daughter's finger is all better. As for your cookies, I think they look perfect!

Pei-Lin on November 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM said...

I love the intricate designs of your piping! Very impressive!

As for the doctor, that's totally despicable! I hate the fact that nowadays, the medical field and even education, especially private colleges and universities, are so money-minded! Kinda unethical to me!

Hmmm ... Do people still practice that "very Chinese" custom? Sounds a bit weird to me!?

Take care, K?

PAM on November 12, 2010 at 1:23 AM said...

Your cookies are fabulous and your piping is really really good. Glad your daughter is doing better, what an ordeal!!

Hanaâ on November 12, 2010 at 1:53 AM said...

Sorry to hear about your daughter's ordeal. I'm glad mom instincts kicked in and you went to see a second doctor. I hope she's doing better.

Your cookies are adorable!!! The lace design is so detailed. Great job. PS: my husband does the same thing about telling me what time it is and that I have to go to bed, haha.

Patricia @ ButterYum on November 12, 2010 at 3:32 AM said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's accident, and sorry about the first doctor. I went through the same thing last year when my daughter broke her finger. The ER doctor didn't think it was anything special, but a friend who works in a hospital tole me to go see the best hand doctor in town. Good thing we did, the break ended up being "very complicated and substantial". Sometimes a second opinion really pays off.

Anyway, your cookies are some of the best I've seen. I can't imagine all that piping... my hand would be all cramped up after decorating just a few. You did a fabulous job, Faithy!

:)
ButterYum

Maameemoomoo on November 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM said...

Your Hb so loving!!

Can I self invite the next time when u deco cookies and cakes?? Pls pls pls. Lol!

lola on November 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM said...

Faithy - Thank goodness all is better with your daughter. Your cookies are adorable and the lace piping is amazing. You are one talented lady.

Katie Yoon on November 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM said...

Wow! I love them so much!!

Roxanne on November 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM said...

These are lovely! ;)

SweetThingsTO on November 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM said...

Faithy - I hope your daughter is better!

As for your cookies - fabulous piping!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template