Sunday, October 17, 2010

Many Splendored Quick Bread

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page : Many Splendored Quick Bread 

This is a simple and quick recipe anyone can put together very quickly.  Despite it being super quick and easy, everything went wrong for me..Oo..   

I don't think i've cooked with zucchini before..so i was wondering if i should remove the skin and the seeds?  Anyway, I ended up removing both.  When i was about to weigh the walnuts, i found out all 3 packs of walnut that i had turned rancid...and i'm only left with some cashew and pistachio nuts.  After much thought..i decided to use cashew nuts..i mean how bad can it turn out right?   


I grated the zucchini and carrots...and after grating them equally extra-fine..i realised that i should have grated the carrots medium-fine!  At this point i noticed the recipe called for instant oatmeal..mine was the regular oatmeal that has to be cooked...opps..too late..i can't remove it out of the flour..and i didn't have any instant unflavored ones either.  *Arrgghh*.. What's wrong with me today!!


Made a slit after baking 15mins and then baked for a further 45mins.  The cake ended up looking ok. I was worried it might not cook at all because of the oatmeal.  

VERDICT:  It tasted more like weird banana cake to me. LOL!  I think it was all my doing and most likely had nothing to do with the recipe.  The cashew nuts tasted weird in the cake..hahahaha..just doesn't blend in...and i think the regular oatmeal didn't help either when paired with the carrot and zucchini...and it tasted very bland! Super Weird Taste! :P  It went straight into the trash.  Nobody liked it.  

Me: Disqualified in this round. 





15 comments:

Unknown on October 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown on October 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM said...

you are too funny and so brave!
Sorry it didn't work out today. Some recipes just don't agree with us.
I've had handful of those ending in the trash.

Pei-Lin on October 18, 2010 at 12:26 AM said...

Faithy, don't worry! LOL! Actually, for zucchini, you don't need to remove the seeds and peel the summer squash! All you have to do is to wash to clean it. The squash itself can easily be grated and gives out lots of "juice!" In fact, much more easier than carrots, IMO.

In America, it's common to sneak zucchini into bakes. I've made zucchini bread (quick bread), muffins, and even zucchini brownies! LOL! The brownies were super moist ... like super dense and slightly fudgy chocolate cake! Hehe ...

It's OK lah ... None of us is born perfect, so is Rose. LOL! You can't blame yourself either.

Mendy on October 18, 2010 at 1:18 AM said...

ב''ה

Sorry things went wrong. :(

Looks nice though. Glad to know it is easy.

Hanaâ on October 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM said...

Oh no! I too wouldn't have thought that cashews would make it taste bad. I left out the nuts all together (due to allergies). And it was fine. Do try it again. It was tasty. My post will be up shortly.

Monica on October 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM said...

Funny how the easy one are the ones that take us down eh? Sorry it was not a success in your kitchen..our was not overly sweet either.. but not bland and I did also used my oats.. did not have instant oatmeal.. but it seem to work.

Vicki on October 18, 2010 at 4:04 AM said...

Oh, Faithy, you are so funny! Disqualifying yourself! I had to go buy instant oatmeal as I have the regular on hand, too. This isn't a super sweet recipe. Next time I might up the sugar. It's a really nice flavored bread.

faithy on October 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM said...

Thanks Haniela, Pei-Lin, Hanaa, Mendy, Monica & Vicki! I think the cashew nuts throw off the flavor completely. Perhaps it would have tasted much better if i didn't add in the nuts. And I think because of the regular oatmeal, the bread was bit too moist and sticky. Strange taste anyway..lol!

Lois B on October 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM said...

Faithy, you tell such a funny story about something you didn't even like. :) I used regular oats too.

Hanaâ on October 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM said...

Btw, I just added more "baking w/Marie" pictures to my blog post.

maameemoomoo on October 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM said...

Kekkekkeee... funny ler u faithy!

But hey, this sorta kitchen disaster happens all the time to me as well... and when it does, i just wanna start biting ppl. hahahhaa! :P

Andrea on October 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM said...

Your post made me laugh. I think we all have our days when the simplest things go wrong. Sorry it didn't turn out well for you.

Lynnette on October 19, 2010 at 2:21 AM said...

Oh, you are so funny! But, I really didn't like it either.

Jenn on October 19, 2010 at 5:39 AM said...

Oh I'm sorry you didn't like the bread. Maybe it's the cashew messing up everything?

Barbara Bakes on October 19, 2010 at 9:57 AM said...

I've had days like that too. I need to post more of my disasters so everyone know it happens to all of us.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template