Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Bostini

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 351 : The Bostini

Simple and easy recipe. I don't have any latte cups except the free Madonald's colored coke glasses...so i ended up using that instead..:p   


The pastry cream was easy to do..steps just like making any custard. :) So i knew exactly what to do.  I had only 400g of pure cream and ended up using the rest in sour-cream.  Didn't affect the taste and in fact tasted quite good.   Since i used non-stick cucpake pan, i didn't grease or flour the pan. I had no problem removing the chiffon cakelets out of the pan either.  Since mine is cupcake pan, i put in 2 chiffon cakelets into the coke glasses and poured in the chocolate sauce.  


Since i don't own any long spoon, i ended up using bubble-tea straws (i just had bubble tea this afternoon..:p) as prop for photo-taking...LOL!

VERDICT:  DELICIOUS! The chiffon cakelets can be eaten by itself and it's yummy and soft! Together with pastry cream, it is yet another dessert.  Taste and look complicated when it's really pretty simple to do. Great dessert to serve your guests if you're entertaining at home. I really like it.  My daughter enjoys it too.  My husband doesn't like all these creamy stuff..but he ate 2-3 cupcakes without the cream at one sitting..he said it's really good!  I do agree with him, the cupcakes are heavenly on its own and rather addictive. :D I've been munching on them since they were out from the oven..lol!  So i am now left with more pastry cream than cupcakes..:p


Marie Helene's Apple Cake


After seeing Monica, Jenn & Vicki's blogroll on Marie Helene's Apple Cake for their French Friday's with Dorie posting, i knew i had to bake this as well.  I have the book and was already eyeing at this recipe. It's super easy and fuss free.   True enough, this recipe is a winner.  Very yummy and delicious!  I wonder if it will go along with the bostini pastry cream.... :D



21 comments:

Vicki on October 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM said...

LOVE your McDonald's glasses! They're probably collectibles. Both your Bostinies and apple cake look delicious.

Unknown on October 31, 2010 at 11:21 PM said...

these look and sound so delicious. I could use one right now.

Monica on October 31, 2010 at 11:33 PM said...

How creative you were of using the coke glasses (I have those myself!)

I'm having my mother and future mother in law for lunch today.. and we will be "tasting" them after lunch, so we will see about the verdit.

Told you ... you would like the apple cake! And totally agree that with the addition of the pastry cream to it.

Pei-Lin on October 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM said...

That's a sinful glass of indulgence. I bet I'd love it ... But, how can I make myself finish the whole cup when it's not waist-friendly at all!! HAHA!

I'm a bit like your hubby. I sometimes think having the cake all by itself is good enough. =)

evil cake lady on November 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM said...

oh, i bet the pastry cream would be delicious with the apple cake! i love the look of your bostinis in the coke glasses with a straw.

Lois B on November 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM said...

LOVE your photos, Faithy!

Alpha Baker Joan on November 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM said...

FAITHY, WHAT A GREAT IMAGINATION YOU HAVE! LOVE THE PHOTOS AND THE COKE GLASSES AND STRAWS, WHAT A FAB PRESENTATION.

A Canadian Foodie on November 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM said...

That cake is getting its props all over the blogoshere this month, isn't it. Good for you for baking it, too! I am in awe of your creativity: cupcake floats! How novel! Everything is delicious with Creme Anglaise, or pastry cream!
YUM.
Valerie

Hanaâ on November 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM said...

How clever. Those McD glasses look great. Based on how much you enjoyed the cupcakes, I can only imagine how nice it is to have 2 cupcakes in each glass :o)

Your apple cake turned out great too. That's one of the first recipes I wanted to make when I saw the book. I can't wait to make it. I have some extra caramel glaze leftover from ABC's Pumpkin Profiteroles w/Caramel Sauce, so that would be a perfect addition to the apple cake. Yum!

Unknown on November 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM said...

Oh that's dreamy... like a knickerbocker glory!

Mendy on November 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM said...

ב''ה

Bubble tea straws make it even more fun. :)

Deeba PAB on November 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM said...

Love the way you presented them faith, utterly charming. Both he Bostinies and the apple cake look fab! 'HUNGRY' now!!

SweetThingsTO on November 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM said...

Oooh! Decadent!

Jamie on November 3, 2010 at 12:11 AM said...

Wow! Now this is what I call dessert! I love the mini chiffon cakelets and I made something similar for my mini boston cream pies but your dessert is so much more fun! And oooh I want that cookbook!

faithy on November 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM said...

Thanks all for dropping by! :D I still have 3 cups of pastry cream left and no more chiffon cakes..LOL!

Jeniffer Paxton on November 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM said...

Ha! They look (& sound) fabulous :) They would be so much fun to serve at a party/function too! Lol, Daniel works part time at McDonalds so we have a lot of those glasses ;)

maameemoomoo on November 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM said...

I love it!!

Do u think i should invest in this book, faithy??

And that finger.. so real!! Ewwww.. haha!

lola on November 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM said...

You are so clever and I loved reading your post.

Y on November 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM said...

Yum! I want to make that bostini. Saw it in the book awhile back, but somehow totally forgot about it.

giovanna on November 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM said...

ooh sooo adorable, and the lace part absolutely stunning.

Stehanie on November 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM said...

These are all so wonderfully detailed. A steady hand you have!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template