Monday, March 22, 2010

Peanut Butter Ingots vs Green Tea Financiers

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 317:  Peanut Butter Ingots

I thought it would be a great idea to bake 2 different types of financiers and since i've been wanting to try out Keiko Ishida's Okashi (she's Japanese, went to pastry school in Paris but now relocated to Singapore and teaches here) green tea financiers. Afterall both recipes have more or less similar ingredients...so it was easy to bake them together without more work. :)

Toasted the blanched almond slices & grind into powder

After heating the butter - left over brown milk solids on pan & filter paper.

Beurre Noisette - clarified & brown butter.

HCB's Peanut Butter Ingots

Green Tea Powder

Okashi's Green Tea Financiers

Opps, as you can see my financiers were a bit burnt on the top because i was watching the scary movie "Stepfather" and didn't realised that the financiers were done before the 20mins. :p... Only the top was a bit burnt but the inside was still moist and soft. 

Verdict: Rose's Heavenly Cake's Peanut butter ingots taste great and nutty.  Okashi's green tea financiers has a lighter texture and is less sweet.  I like Okashi's green tea financiers better because green tea is my all time favourite, it is not as sweet, lighter in texture plus the recipe is very easy, ie, less hassle and very straight forward.   Nonetheless, both the peanut butter & green tea versions tasted great.  My daughter who's not a green tea fan actually liked the green tea financiers better because it has more flavor. My husband said both are equally good.  

Green Tea Financiers

Pastry Flour          50g
Corn Flour             5g
Baking Powder     1/2 tsp
Egg Whites            130g
Castor sugar           130g
Ground Almonds    50g
Salt                          a pinch
Unsalted Butter       130g
Green Tea powder  10g

1. Preheat oven to 220c. Lightly grease the cake moulds with a little softened butter and place them on a baking sheet. Sift flour, cornflour, green tea powder and baking powder together twice.  

2. Place egg whites into a clean bowl and beat lightly with a hand-whisk. Add sugar, ground almonds, flour mixture and salt each at a time and mix well without over mixing. Set aside.

3. Brown butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisking frequently until fragrant and golden brown in color.  Pour butter into a mixing bowl. Place the bowl with browned butter into a larger bowl half filled with ice water to stop it from cooking further and burning. (Beurre Noisette)

4. Add brown butter to flour and almond mixture and mix well.  Spoon batter into the prepared moulds. 

5. Bake financiers for 10-15 mins until they are light golden in color. Remove from moulds and cool on wire racks. 

17 comments:

Mendy on March 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM said...

ב''ה

Love the coca-cola glasses.

Lois B on March 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM said...

Faithy, you are so ambitious baking two varieties!

Vicki on March 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM said...

Wow Faithy, two varieties! The Green Tea version would have been perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

Raymond on March 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM said...

Faithy,

You never cease to amaze me. These look so fantastic. I love green tea and now I have to try your green tea version. I had a terrible time getting the pans and ended up with the right size but Amazon now has them in stock so onward I go

Raymond

Virginia Taylors on March 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM said...

I love doing challengers!!! yours looks like it was very fun. The green is so striking!

Jenn on March 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM said...

Wow.. 2 financiers! You are amazing. I love green tea. Hm.. will have to try this recipe!

Khadija El Mary on March 23, 2010 at 5:47 AM said...

Two varieties at the same time, you're amazing! They look great!
Cheers

Monica on March 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM said...

Faithy.. as always you go above and beyond. What a great concept to try out the green tea version.

I agree, they will make a great St. Patrick treat.

If I can only like green tea... I just cannot get pass the flavor (picky me!).

NancyB on March 23, 2010 at 9:48 AM said...

I'm making a note to come back and try the green tea version--very pretty, and I bet it's a lovely flavor.

faithy on March 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM said...

Thanks everyone! :) If you like green tea anything like me, i'm sure you'll like green tea financiers too. :D

Mendy, coca-coloa glasses came free with Macdonald's meal...during the olympics..i collected them all and later the colored ones, i collected them all too.

Hanaâ on March 25, 2010 at 5:40 AM said...

They both look good but I really like the bright green color on the green tea ones. I'm glad you liked them!

FATMUM on March 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kitchen Butterfly on March 26, 2010 at 5:11 AM said...

I have loads of Matcha....and these seem perfect. They remind me of friands.........superb!

Anonymous said...

The green tea version looks most yummy. Where did you get the financier pans in Singapore?

faithy on March 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM said...

@Anonymous: I didn't buy mine in Singapore but i thought i have seen something similar in one of the local shops but i can't remember exactly where now..

Amy @ cookbookmaniac on March 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM said...

I have both books and have always wanted to make both those recipes! I'm glad they both were delicious. I think I'll make the Green Tea version soon.

Nicola on March 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM said...

Love the head to head!

I think I would have preferred the green tea version as well.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template