Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Earl Grey Tea Cake

Keiko Ishida's Okashi : Earl Grey Tea Cake


YUMMY! This cake is seriously addictive! One bite of it and you will be craving for more. It's light & moist, the earl grey tea paired with the lemon zest really brings out the fragrant & flavor of the cake.  This cake is not sweet (the sweetness is just nice imo).  If you like really sweet cakes, add more icing sugar.  

Keiko Ishida's Okashi : Earl Grey Tea Cake (Pound Cake)

Ingredients:-
150g cake flour
1/8 tsp baking powder (i added 1/4 tsp more)
150g softened butter unsalted
150g icing sugar
15g glucose
3 eggs (abt 150g)
1/8 tsp salt
5g earl grey tea dust (from tea bags) (i added 2g of tea dust & 3g of earl grey tea powder)
15g ground almond
1 lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh milk
100g sugar syrup (50g sugar to 100g water)
2 tbsp lemon juice


1.  Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 19 x 9 x 8 cm pan.  Sift flour and baking powder twice.
2.  Mix syrup with lemon juice. Set aside.
3.  Beat butter, icing sugar and glucose together until light and very fluffy. Gradually add eggs and beat well, then add salt, tea dust, ground almonds and lemon zest and milk. Mix well.
4.  Add flour mixture and fold through completely using a spatula. Surface of batter should be glossy and smooth.
5.  Pour batter into prepared cake pan and make a lengthwise dent in the middle with a spatula. Bake for about 50 mins (baking time may vary according to your oven).
6.  When cake is done, remove from pan & peel off parchment. Place cake on wire rack and brush with sugar and lemon syrup while still warm.  Cool completely before serving. If storing, wrap with cling wrap.

11 comments:

ann low on March 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM said...

I had only tried green tea cake before, must try this recipe one day.

Pei-Lin on March 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM said...

Lovely & scrumptious loaf of cake!! I've still got a few bags of Earl Grey tea leaves there! Gotta get my butt around and start using them!!

Vicki said...

Yum Faithy! My daughter and I both love Earl Grey tea. I will definitely give this recipe a try.

Nicola on March 31, 2010 at 2:38 AM said...

I just posted a comment on Lois's blog about using earl grey or lady grey tea in the ganache on the latest cake!

Looks fantastic and I will definitely give it a whirl.

MaryMoh on March 31, 2010 at 4:24 AM said...

I have heard of green tea cake but have not eaten yet. This is new to me too. Got to try some time.

Unknown on March 31, 2010 at 4:46 AM said...

I'm yet to make a pound cake or a cake using tea, I could kill two birds with one stone here. It looks lovely and light despite my always thinking pound cakes are heavy.

Julia @Mélanger on March 31, 2010 at 5:37 PM said...

Earl Grey tea is my favourite. I've only ever used it in chocolate truffles before, not in a cake. This, I must try. Looks good!

Lois B on March 31, 2010 at 7:41 PM said...

Looks delicious, Faithy! This was the week for tea and baking, wasn't it? lol

Mendy on April 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM said...

ב''ה

This really looks great! I'll have to check out that cookbook.

maameemoomoo on April 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM said...

i SO have to buy earl grey!

i NEED it!

My kinda cake, faithy.. my kinda cake. Heeeeee.

p.s : u got me wanting for financiers too! Grrrr! :P

faithy on April 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! Im equally surprised that the cake tasted really good (well..at least to me i really love it!). While i like Earl Grey tea, i didn't expect it to taste as good as in cakes. So this really comes as quite a pleasant surprise for me. :) I highly recommend that you all try this recipe..lol!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template