Monday, January 4, 2010

Whipped Cream Cake


Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 29: Whipped Cream Cake

This recipe is rather easy. Not a lot of instructions and limited ingredients as well - so i have nothing much to report..lol!

I'm surprised that with only heavy cream the cake is extremely buttery in texture and taste. It taste quite like pound cake..or maybe it is pound cake! The only thing is i don't know why the crust of my cake is rather chewy in texture, although the inside of the cake is very moist and soft. The crust is not dry like normal pound cake but it is quite chewy..i doubt i over-baked it since i only baked it for 30mins and you can see the crust isn't very brown either.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed with this cake, not because it doesn't taste good. It's good: soft, moist & buttery but i am quite bothered with the chewy crust. Maybe my bundt pan is more than 10cups..btw, how do i know if it is how many cups when my pan only states the dimension and not cups - pour in 10 cups of water to test? Besides the cake is quite sweet on it's own too without the need for powdered sugar..but i added it for aesthetic reason..lol!

My family likes it and gave the thumbs up. My daughter, the critic, also commented about the chewy crust. See..this makes me wonder what i did wrong...LOL! But all in all, it's a very yummy cake!


8 comments:

gartblue on January 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM said...

chewy or not, yours sure look good!

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM said...

Bundts vary greatly in cup capacity.You can measure the volume of your Bundt pan by filling it with water. The number of cups it takes to fill the pan to the rim is is the cup-size of your pan.

Nicola on January 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM said...

Looks fantastic. Not sure about the chewy sides - mine are kinda crunchy. Maybe the humidity?

You can also just put your tin on the scales and zero it off. Then add water until it is up to the rim. Divide the net weight by 250 and that will tell you the cup capacity of your tin.

Vicki said...

Your cake looks great. I'm wondering if the weight of the Bundt pan has anything to do with the crust. My Bundt pan was terribly thin and the crust was too browned. I also wonder could the type of flour spray or combination of grease with flour influences the crust texture?

evil cake lady on January 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM said...

curious about the chewy crust! at least the insides were good.

faithy on January 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM said...

@Gartblue: Thanks! :) You didn't bake this cake? I was hoping you did so we can compare notes if it is because of the hot weather or the humidity that causes my crust to be chewy..lol!

@ButterYum: Thanks Pat for the tip!!

@Nicola: I am not sure if it is the humidity though..nobody complained about the chewy skin except me..lol! But i did notice that everyone's post the end batter was thicker & fluffier. Mine when i added the eggs, the whipped cream deflated! LOL! Maybe my room temperature eggs is warmer than all of yours..so i should use eggs from the fridge instead. Thanks for the tip! Such good idea..i never thought of that before!

@Vicki! Not sure though, i have those thin bundt pan and not the thick ones..the thick ones are selling like S$100+ (US$70+)..i can't bring myself to buy it as yet! but now everyone's tempting me with their gorgeous bundt pan! lol!

@EvilCakeLady: Hi Jennifer! I'm too curious why my cake crust is chewy instead of crunchy like all of yours. Strange..but i like said to Nicola, my batter is more liquid compared to all of yours and not so fluffy..when i added the eggs, the whipped cream kinna deflated..lol!

Hanaâ on January 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM said...

Your cake looks great. Weird that your crust was chewy. How about making a third of the recipe and baking it in a small loaf pan or muffin tin, to eliminate the problem having anything to do with your bundt pan? Just a thought.

faithy on January 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM said...

Hi Hanaâ, ya, i have to try it one of these days again...and see if the crust is chewy again..

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template