Monday, January 25, 2010

[MacTweets/ma4] Mac-A-Valentine: Ispahan Macarons




My version of Ispahan Macarons: Rose, Raspberry & Lychee (Litchi)

I was reading Paris Patisseries when i saw the recipe of the famous Pierre Herme's Ispahan Maracons.  I thought it would be a good idea to bake these since it has a tinge of rose flavor suitable for Valentine's Day.   However, his original recipe is rather time-comsuming to make so i just borrowed his idea of combining the 3 flavors: Rose, Raspberry & Lychee.

The macaron shells are flavored with rose essence and sandwich with raspberry jelly centre & lychee/ rose flavored buttercream.  I used the same italian meringue recipe from I love Macarons by Hisako Ogita since i wanted something fast.  I was also baking Chocolate Tweet Angel Food Cake at the same time so my entire kitchen was rather chaotic & messy..lol! :S


Please do check out other bloggers' macarons & flavors listed on http://mactweets.blogspot.com!


Rose Macaron Recipe (requested by Jamie)
Adapted from I love Macarons by Hisako Ogita
Macarons

Ingredients:-

(A)
60g of almond powder
80g of icing sugar

(B)
50g of eggwhites

(C)
40g of granulated sugar
40g of water

(D)
½ tsp of rose essence
red colored powder (add to your discretion)

(E)
1 tsp of eggwhite powder (Optional)


Method:
1. Preheat oven to 150c (book mentioned at 190c - so largely dependent on  your oven temperament..lol! Mine is always hot!)
2. Mix [A] together and process it for 10-20 secs in food processor till fine. Sift it and set aside.
3. Mix ingredients [C] together in microwaveable glass and stir to dissolve sugar. Microwave for 20 sec – take it out and stir to dissolve the sugar. * (check step 4) * Microwave for a further 3½ - 4 mins till the sugar syrup reaches 110c or softball stage. (If you are lazy like me, just look at the syrup, it should be thick and flows like glucose – that should be it). You can also heat sugar syrup over the stove.
4. While the sugar syrup is in the microwave, with handmixer beat the eggwhites [B] till frothy and add in [E] (optional) and beat till soft peaks.
5. When the sugar syrup is ready (be careful since the glass will be very hot!), pour it into the meringue in a slow steady stream avoiding the handmixer (with handmixer still beating). Turn the mixer on low speed and beat till the meringue cools down (should be fast since it’s only very little eggwhites).
6. Pour in half [A] into the meringue & fold. Add the other half in and fold further. Add [D] and fold further. Unlike the French method, this method needs to be folded more – otherwise you’ll get peaks. Fold (Macronnage) until the mixture turns a bit shinny and flows thickly.
7. Pipe onto baking sheet on tray & Leave to dry (should be pretty quick – like 10-15mins?)
8. Place in oven and you’ll see feet rise within first 5 mins. If it doesn’t means failure. If it does, after 5 mins, open the door slightly ajar and bake for further 5mins. After turn the oven to 130c (with door still ajar) and bake for another 5 mins.  *(Note: This step largely depends on your oven..my oven is extremely hot..so this always works best for me).
9. Leave to cool and remove macarons from baking sheet.

Raspberry Jelly is made from raspberry puree and agar powder. I don’t know how much exactly cos I always estimate by ‘feel’.

Rose Lychee (Litchi) Buttercream is made by adding Lychee puree (I used canned since they are not in season now) & 1 tsp of Rose water into the buttercream. Again I did this by estimate.


28 comments:

Jamie on January 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM said...

I have never seen anything that screams "Valentine's Day" as much as these beautiful, romantic, fabulous macs! Wow! Really prefect and so pretty! Love the luscious texture of the insides! And the flavors are exotic and romantic! Perfect!

And can I have the recipe? Please?

maameemoomoo on January 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM said...

So gorgeous!!

And the shells.. So plump looking! So wow! I totally wanna sink my teeth in them!

Makes me wanna bake macaron again.. Like, at this very instant. :p

Khadija El Mary on January 24, 2010 at 11:52 PM said...

Can’t believe how flawless those Ispaphan macarons look! Absolutely WONDERFUL! Excellent work!
Cheers

Vicki said...

Wow Faithy, impressive! These look better than the ones I bought yesterday in a very pricey bakery.

tspegar on January 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM said...

they are beautiful! i am in love :) thanks for such a gorgeous mac post and happy v-day!

Sinful Southern Sweets on January 25, 2010 at 1:29 AM said...

Those really are flawless! Just a beautiful valentine treat!

Unknown on January 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM said...

These are awesome! I can't believe you've finished them already!!! I love the little hearts on them, so sweet.

QIS on January 25, 2010 at 8:27 AM said...

oh.. so romantic feeling macarons. these definitely the perfect gift on valentine's day.

faithy on January 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM said...

@ Jamie: Thanks! I've typed out the recipe for you and try to translate as much as i can. The recipe not exactly from the book but what worked from me. I hope you can understand. If not please do ask me. :)

Thanks Cherie, Mamatkamalm Vicky, Tiffany, CookingSweets & QIS for your kind words! Happy Valentine's Day!

@ Sarah: Thanks for your sweet comments! I've finished them early as i have defrosted too much eggwhites from the earlier angel food cake i made. Plus Valentine's Day falls exactly on Chinese New Year, i figured i better make them early as i will probably be quite busy nearer Chinese New Year. :)

Barbara Bakes on January 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM said...

These are perfect for Valentines! I bet they made someone very happy!

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM said...

Absolutely perfect Faithy!!!

:)
ButterYum

Deeba PAB on January 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM said...

Faithy these are drop dead gorgeous! Would you believe I tried similar sorts but with an aztec chili cocoa spice, hearts on top and all, this morning...and came up a big F!!
These are all things mac-a-valentine...PERFECT!!
Thank you for such a stunning entry to Mactweets!

Nicola on January 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM said...

Faithy, these are amazing. Thanks for the detailed recipe. I am going to give these a whirl...though I sincerely doubt they will look anywhere near as perfect as yours.

Gorgeous.

Mendy on January 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM said...

ב’’ה

What unique flavors!

Jamie on January 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM said...

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I will definitely be trying it and praying my macs turn out as beautifully as yours!

faithy on January 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM said...

Thank you Barbara, Pat, Deeba, Nicola & Mendy for all your kind words! all of you are so sweet!

@Jamie: yes, do try and let me know if it works! I hope it will work for you and that you'll see feet & without cracks too! :)

Michelle on January 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM said...

These are beautiful, well done.

Jenniffer on January 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM said...

You do beautiful work!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

SweetThingsTO on January 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

Wow! They are sooooo beautiful!

Pei-Lin on January 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM said...

Oh, Faithy! These macs look decadent!! Lovely and sweet! Already made something special for your hubbs!?

See, like what I've said. You're one good macaron baker! Kudos to you!

Pei-Lin

Kitchen Butterfly on January 28, 2010 at 5:52 AM said...

Love these........super, vibrant reds!!!!!!!

faithy on January 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM said...

Thanks Michelle, Jennifer, Juanita, Pei Lin & KB! :)

@Pei-Lin: Er..i think my husband and I only ate 1 or 2pcs and my daughter who loves this flavor a lot ate them all up...lol!

Y on February 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM said...

How cute! These are probably the first Valentines Day treats I'm seeing.

Tracy on February 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM said...

OMG, I totally missed these and they are SO. CUTE. :-D

Coco Cake Land on February 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM said...

CUTENESS!! perfection!

Lisa on February 11, 2010 at 5:30 AM said...

Gorgeous macs, perfect shells and the Valentine red and pink so vibrant! LOVE LOVE LOVE the flavors too :)

Julia @Mélanger on February 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM said...

Just gorgeous macarons. I have that macaron book but not used it yet. Have to give it a try. I love the Ispahan macaron. Great version. :)

Cristie on February 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM said...

Your mac's are just beautiful and the filling is so creative- no doubt they were delicious!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template